Home Care FAQs

What are my Rights and Responsibilities as a consumer of Home Care

Southern Highlands Home Care take pride in advocating for our clients and providing them with the best quality of care. It is your right as a consumer to have access to the Charter of Care Recipients Rights and Responibilities - Home Care - Aged Care Act 1997, Schedule 2 User Rights Principles 2014(amended on 27 February 2017).

What are the levels of a home care package?

There are four levels of Home Care Packages: LEVEL1: BASIC CARE NEEDS

Do I have to sign a contract?

We believe that by providing our clients with an agreement of services and costs it gives you peice of mind that we will deliver on our promise. Agreements though, can be a range of time frames and be ammended easily as your needs change. You are not locked in and are able to leave the agreement at any time.

How much does it cost?

Click here for a list of our service costs. Note: The out of pocket cost of home care services are dependant on if you are a private, DVA or government funded client. Our friendly staff are always available to explain the costs of the various services we provide. Feel free to call us and we’ll be happy to provide an obligation-free assessment and cost estimate for you.

What is a home care package

A home care package is an Australian Government funded aged care service for persons over 65 (over 50 for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people) who need support at home to enable them to maintain independence.

How do I apply for a package?

To apply for a package, you must first register with My Aged Care who then may refer you to an Aged Care Assessment Service. The assessors will ask you what your needs are, what support you are already receiving, any health concerns, how you manage dialy living and tasks in the home and your safety in the home. Note: Packages are appearing to take between 6 and 12 months for approval.

Where should I go for more information on Home Care packages?

My Aged Care is the government gateway for all aged care needs, including assessment and information on aged care support and programs across Australia. They should be your first point of contact. Call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 or use their website www.myagedcare.gov.au

Can I change provider?

We at Southern Highlands Home Care have an open door poilicy to all our clients and their families. We encourage you to make contact with us if you have a comment or complaint. From February 2017, people with Home Care Packages will be able to change providers, taking their package funding with them to the new provider. If you’re happy with the services you’re getting, you don’t need to do anything, but if you want to change, you can. Changing providers is easiest if you are moving to another area.

  • Grey Facebook Icon
  • Grey LinkedIn Icon
For Staff



Find our sister site

Port Stephens Home and Disability Care 

Delivering aged and disability care of the same great quality.